Eligibility criteria for technical assistance requests
Technical assistance requests must meet the following eligibility criteria for approval:
- EDM country recipient must be on the OECD Development Assistance Committee List of Official Development Assistance (ODA) recipients.
- A bilateral or regional Free Trade Agreement (FTA) or a Foreign Investment Promotion and Protection Agreement (FIPA) between Canada and the recipient country or a group of countries is: 1) under formal consideration (e.g. when exploratory talks are underway); 2) is being negotiated; or 3) has concluded or been ratified.
- The recipient(s) can be a government entity (department, agency, etc.), a local civil society organization, a local private sector group, or a combination of the above.
- The proposed technical assistance will allow a partner country or group of countries to negotiate, implement, adapt to or benefit from their FTA or FIPA with Canada.
- The proposed technical assistance supports capacity building activities that are tailored to meet the specific FTA and FIPA negotiating or implementation needs of the beneficiary country, in a manner that is not readily addressed by other means.
A technical working group at Global Affairs Canada will assess applications based on strategic priorities of each given year.
All applications must address gender equality and social inclusion; environment and climate change; and sustainability impacts.
Applications must be fully completed to be evaluated.
For governments at national and local levels and government agencies
For private sector organizations and civil society organizations