Eligibility Criteria for Technical Assistance Requests
Technical assistance requests must meet the following eligibility criteria for approval:
- EDM country recipient must be on the OECD Development Assistance Committee List of Official Development Assistance (ODA) recipients.
- A bilateral or regional Free Trade Agreement (FTA) or a Foreign Investment Promotion and Protection Agreement (FIPA) between Canada and the recipient country or a group of countries is: 1) under formal consideration (e.g. when exploratory talks are underway); 2) is being negotiated; or 3) has concluded or been ratified.
- The recipient(s) can be a government entity (department, agency, etc.), a local civil society organization, a local private sector group, or a combination of the above.
- The proposed technical assistance will allow a partner country or group of countries to negotiate, implement, adapt to or benefit from their FTA or FIPA with Canada.
- The proposed technical assistance supports capacity building activities that are tailored to meet the specific FTA and FIPA negotiating or implementation needs of the beneficiary country, in a manner that is not readily addressed by other means.
All EDM technical assistance (TA) will contribute to results in one of the action areas defined under Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy (FIAP). It is therefore important to consider how the requested TA will be aligned with Canada’s international assistance priorities, such as gender equality and growth that works for everyone. For information, please consult the Action Area Policies of Canada’s FIAP.
Applications must be fully completed to be evaluated.